Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Are you a migraine sufferer?

Although this is not your typical Glam topic, as a fellow migraine sufferer, I felt the need to share one of my worst recent migraine episodes and what got me through it.
But first, what is a migraine?
It's a common type of severe headache that may occur with symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, or sensitivity to light and sound. In many people, a throbbing pain is usually felt on one side of the head. A migraine can last anywhere from 4-72 hours.
While there are many causes for migraines, the more common triggers are known as Physiological such as hormonal changes during menstruation (that's me), pregnancy and menopause, Dietary such as certain foods like caffeine and even chocolate and Environmental such as barometric pressure changes, air quality and odors.
For more information about migraines, search the attached link:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIgraine

There are a multitude of ways to try to treat migraines, your more common ways, of course, are with prescription medications, over-the-counter drugs and a more unconventional way of home remedies available through the Internet.
While I've tried many treatments, I revert back to otc Advil Migraine which usually works for me if I catch the headache in time at the very beginning stages. The prescribed medicines for me, honestly, scare me with all the serious side effects that come with it.
However, when it comes to the home remedies, I've tried my fair share, from drinking hot teas (peppermint or chamomile), a cold rag or ice pack on the back of your neck, placing used coffee grinds on your forehead, drinking caffeine plus chocolate at same time (even though this combo can also be triggers), flaxseed, oils and magnesium to name a few!
However, in a desperate plea to my friends on Facebook on any remedies they may know of on my most recent fateful migraine attack, I took the advice of a fellow Jeweler, Erica. She, as a past migraine sufferer herself, suggested Vicks Vapor Rub! Say what? You know we all have this medicinal staple in our cabinets! We all grew up with this in our households and may even trigger some childhood memories when you smell Vicks right?
Well guess what? It worked! I rubbed it on my temples along with an ice pack on the back of my neck and I felt relief within 15 minutes. A nice cup of hot tea didn't hurt either! I'm not saying I was in the clear but I was well on my way. I saw the light at the end of the tunnel (no pun intended)!
Of course, before use, make sure you're careful around the eyes, nose and with children.
In my research, I found many different uses for Vicks Vapor Rub that may surprise you. Check those out at:

No comments:

Post a Comment