Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Space-Saving and Wrinkle-Free Packing for your next vacation

Do you love going on vacation but dread packing? Who doesn't? I know I do! I cannot even go away for just a weekend and not pack my entire closet. I so want to be one of those travelers that can just use a carry-on bag for a weeks vacation but who am I kidding? I feel like I have to have choices when it comes to dressing. I'm not a huge planner of what I'll wear the next day. I dress according to my mood the morning of.
However, last year, I was introduced to a new way of packing that is both space-saving and mostly wrinkle-free! On my last planned get-away, my hairdresser, Elizabeth, suggested I roll my clothes when I pack. Say what? Some of you may already do this but at first, I couldn't grasp this concept. Now it's the only way to go! Basically, you pick out each outfit from head to toe including undergarments and you roll them tight like you would a newspaper. You can also choose to add the accessories but I go ahead and plan the jewelry I'd like to wear with each outfit and then I separate them in a baggie and carry it on with me for security reasons. Research shows that flight attendants have been roll packing as well, even up to 40 garments in one suitcase. 
The true test was when I recently helped my daughter pack for a five week, overseas trip to Europe where the weather is very unpredictable this time of year so we had to pack for both hot and cold weather! On top of that, we had only one suitcase allowed at 50 pounds or less. Now that was a challenge but she did it!
A few other packing tips include shoe packing and utilizing every inch of your suitcase inside and out for miscellaneous items. I try to wear the bulkiest or heaviest shoes on board and as I've mentioned in one of my previous blogs, I swear by Switchflops. A basic flip flop with interchangeable straps that can match up with your outfits especially in the summer. Best space saving shoe out there. Also pack your undergarments or socks inside your shoes and pack lighter by packing interchangeable clothes.
Did you know that you can create a little extra room in your suitcase by closing and standing up your already packed suitcase, shaking it up and down a bit and then laying it flat and voilĂ  you will be able to pack a couple more things!
Let me know how your next vaca goes if you pack using this technique!

For a detailed how-to-guide on rolling your clothes, I recommend this link:www.wikihow.com/Roll-Clothes

No comments:

Post a Comment